Well, it looks like October is kicking off the Book of John. What a befitting place to start this new series. So let’s get right to it!
John 1:1-13 The Word Became Flesh
1 In the beginning, was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him, nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.
9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
- Jesus is The Word. The Word became flesh.
- Jesus is God and was with God. (Two parts of The Holy Trinity)
- God created EVERYTHING and gave it life and light.
- Darkness cannot extinguish light
- John was not light, but instead a witness to The Light
- The world didn’t recognize Him and rejected Him
- All who believed and accepted are spiritually reborn
- This is the Gospel, this is how all of creation began. It is because of Him that I was born. Do I believe this? All of it? If not, nothing else in the Bible matters, this is ground zero for my faith, it would be worth spending some time doing a heart-check on this!
- God wins, darkness cannot overtake the light. I’ve heard it said many times “don’t tell God about your problems, tell your problems about God”. How often does my focus fall on all the bad stuff that is happening and my heart longs for the Light when the Light is everywhere and extinguishes the darkness? Where is my focus most days?
- John was not “the light”, and neither am I. On my best day I am merely a sinner saved by grace who is to do my best at reflecting HIS LIGHT. How often do I carry the burden of others as if they were mine to resolve? That is my old co-dependency placing guilt and shame on me over stuff that is not mine to carry. And then again, how often do I try and solve my own problems alone as well? Jesus is the one who promises to carry all of our burdens, and it is Him alone I should be talking about and leaning on.
- To all who believed AND accepted are given the right… Interesting. I suppose even the devil believes. So what sets my faith apart from the demons? Am I just a fan of Jesus or merely believe he was real? Do I deep down simply “wish” this was all true? Or have I truly accepted Him as my eternal salvation and my strength and hope for everything in this life?
Father God, it is so easy for me to lose sight of the foundations of my faith. When I get “lost in the weeds” it is only because I forget Your Power and put too much emphasis on my troubles and weaknesses. I repent Lord, I renew my faith here and now and once again cast aside the demons of disbelief, fear, self-condemnation, hopelessness, and lack. I am blessed beyond measure Lord, just like Mephibosheth, I am worthy because you called me to the table, not because my actions in this life earned it or my character makes me worthy. I will dance again, albeit with a limp. May You get all the glory and honor You so richly deserve, today and forevermore.
I’d love to hear about your personal observations, applications or prayers regarding this specific passage, I encouraged you to join the conversation.
Blessings in Christ,